Saturday, 20 June 2015

Mushroom poisoning in dogs

      Avoid Tragedy: Check Your Garden for These Potentially Fatal Growths

  • Also watch what your dog may eat when out on your walks. Mushrooms are one hazard to look out for.
  • Mushroom poisoning in pets presents a special problem for guardians and veterinarians because it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference between toxic and non-toxic varieties
  • Symptoms of mushroom toxicity are dependent on the species of mushroom, the specific toxin(s) involved, and the individual pet’s susceptibility to those toxins
  • Treatment of mushroom poisoning is focused on decontamination and managing clinical symptoms as they arise. It is often difficult to predict the outcome of treatment unless the mushroom can be accurately identified
  • If you know or suspect your pet has ingested a mushroom, seek help immediately, and if possible, collect any uneaten mushrooms and/or vomit and feces samples to take with you to the vet or emergency animal hospital
  • By Dr. Becker

No comments :