Friday, 23 January 2009

Dangerous Toys

Dog Training Stories

Although this blog is to be about adventures in dog training, there are a number of related issues which I will include from time to time.

The first of these follows below.
A Cautionary StoryI would like to share a curious experience I had with the Jack Russell.About 18 months ago Trixie had amongst her toys, a smallish "pink" (don't ask) rubber bone. She loved to chew this but when I noticed that there were small bits of pink rubber appearing in her poo (apologies to those of you of a sensitive disposition) I decided that this toy had to go.Now fast forward TWELVE MONTHS .

Trixie became ill. She was constantly trying to be sick but only producing foam from her mouth. She was in great distress and had to be taken to the vets. An x-ray revealed a blockage in the intestine and an operation was needed. The amazing result was a lump of PINK rubber which was positively identified as part of the toy I had thrown away twelve months earlier. It had stayed in her stomach for that time until some manoeuvre caused it to enter the digestive tract.

$600 later (the Vet's bill), I realised that toys can pose a hazard.If this is a problem that worries you make sure you purchase dog toys that are made of firm rubber or similar safe substances and remove them as soon as they start to deteriorate and break up. It may seem expensive to do this on a regular basis but it is much cheaper than the vet's bill.